Sunday, April 6, 2014

New Costuming Project. No Title!

Ok, guys. It's been a while since I have posted a bunch of tutorials. And everyone loved the Chainsaw Tutorial so much! Click here if you haven't seen that post yet! I even won an award with it. Then I lent it to a haunt in Acton, and never saw it again... Boo!

So, I plan to make a play by play of another project I just decided to work on. An Arm piece!

I get the inspiration from a couple of the prop booths at Transworld this year. Especially Gore-Galore!

OOOh, Momma!

but, since I don't have the hundreds of dollars to buy this or make it, I will have to go the Junk-Punk route!

1. First off, I needed to make a standard Base piece which I can build off of.
I was able to find some Large Cardboard Tubing from a package I had received a while ago.

(Ok, I am a pack Rat. I'm surprised I've thrown away anything.)

With the length, I am able to cut it in half and make two. For right now, just one.
 Now, I got the piece that covers the arm. But I need it to stay on my arm without any funny looking strap. So, I need more cardboard...
Cutting out hole for cardboard handle.

Cardboard inserted.

Inside shot.

Arm in.

get a grip!

So, once I have it in the right spot, I use hot glue to anchor it in place.


Not Going anywhere...

So, With that done, the next step is to cap off the top. So, to do that, I used a leftover piece from an earlier project. 

Cutting small triangles into the sides, so I'll be able to fit it better onto the tube.

I attached it onto the top using clear tape. Then I wanted to focus on adding the scariness to it. So, I grabbed this...


Some people Might Remember this piece. I made it from two axes for my Minotaur character 3 years ago.
Protecting the Goddess's Baby.

Well, I normally have some items I make have a shelf life of about 2 or 3 years, before I re-purpose it. Well, time's up! I carefully took both blades off, and saved the handle, tip, and collar for a possible project, and attached the blades to the arm piece.

Oh wait, first, I stuffed the insides of the blades with plastic shopping bags, to make it a little sturdier. Then I attached them to the arm piece .

One Blade...

And Two Blades....

They are only temporarily attached with screws, right now, Until I get a new Pop-Rivet gun. And that's a different rant...

Now, Originally, I was going to put the face of a skull on the top, But I wanted it to look more sinister. I happened to have some scrap foam padding for furniture, so I cut them into cubes, then carved them into grossly shaped spikes, then hot glued them to the piece.




It does look funny right now, But I plan to do a base coat of black latex paint, and that will make the foam spikes sealed and smooth.

That's what I have done for now. Will do a part two when I get more completed.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment